Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Acura “My Way” Ad

The Sid Vicious version of “My Way” being used in a car commercial? Hell yeah!

I love this, and it’s about time ads were allowed to do stuff like this. I submitted things like this ten years ago and was told nobody would ever make it, because it would sully their brand to be associated with punk rock attitude. But I think the naysayers were wrong, and this is pretty fun.

The tagline at the end: “We made this one for us, but you can have one” is also nice.

I think this Sid Vicious version of “My Way” would actually be used more effectively in an ad for a restaurant where you get to build your own burger, or a place with an unlimited salad bar, or something like that, where someone is making themselves something ridiculously extreme and unorthodox. Also, it would be great to use in an ad for that Las Vegas hotel The Cosmopolitan, where they say they have: “Just the Right Amount of Wrong”. And for cars, it would have worked better for some badass muscle car. But punk rock fans should be happy enough to have it where we can get it.

Here’s the punky piece: