Monday, August 11, 2014

Scope Mustache Ad

The new Scope mouthwash ad where someone’s bad breath scares a man’s mustache off is a really cute idea. But I wonder if this advertising strategy will have unintended consequences. Because people who don’t like mustaches may get really bad breath on purpose just to try to make everyone’s mustache run away. And think of all the non-mustached people who will be exposed to such malodorous breath! Surely it’s a crime against humanity!

Because, you see, mustaches are not nearly as popular in America today as they used to be, so this demonstration of anti-mustache tactics may give people some unexpected ideas, and the already critically endangered American mustache may be driven to the brink of extinction!

Oh, and um, sexist much, Scope? How come only a woman can have bad enough breath to do such things? Men can have bad breath too, you know. And I can hear the complaints about calling that woman a “girl”, but I will not mention it here. (Oh, oops: I guess I did mention it.)

And, um, also, I’m not completely convinced yet that showing green glowing breath looks like fresh breath so much as it looks like Toxic Avenger-style irradiated toxic chemical breath. But I guess it suggests mintiness?

Here’s the mustache chasing spot: