Thursday, August 21, 2014

La Notte Song

I was trying to trudge my way through another Antonioni movie last night, La Notte, that is supposedly one of the all time great movies, but it struck me as odd what we were watching, from an entertainment perspective, you know, versus Hollywood movies. And then the song: “That’s Entertainment” came to mind. And so, based upon what I saw in the first 35 minutes, I wrote this, of La Notte:

(In a joke on the song “That’s Entertainment”)

A dying man in a hospital asks for champagne,
A nympho in the next room tries seducing his friend,
The friend confesses to his wife, but she casts no blame,
That’s entertainment!

The friend has a book party, his wife thinks it’s inane,
Some girls try flirting with him and it drives her insane,
She runs into a street where everything looks the same,
That’s entertainment!

The friend’s wife takes a taxicab and watches a fight,
The winner tries to stalk her but she’s soon out of sight,
She finds some students shooting rockets up into flight,
That’s entertainment!

(I know this doesn’t match the structure of the song “That’s Entertainment”, but I was thinking of the middle part when I wrote it {and I even got that wrong}; but still the idea is there: Antonioni films are not what we’d typically think of as entertainment in America.)

Maybe I'll finish this song when I finish watching the movie, someday.

(BTW: I usually love classic movies, movies based on literature, foreign films, Fellini and Criterion Collection stuff, but Antonioni movies {besides Blow Up} make me want to rip my own head off: sorry film snobs. I want to like it, really I do. I try the best I can, but I can’t…)