Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Coca Cola’s New Obesity Ad

Hmm. I don’t know that this is the best idea. Coke is currently running a new ad that sounds like another boring but sanctimonious lecture about health and obesity, and I think it not only makes them look bad, it probably won’t interest people much either. After seeing it just once, I found it to be pointless and annoying. And after seeing it 500 times? (Aarrgh!)

How about doing this instead, Coca Cola, if you really care about preventing obesity: Run an ad that says: “Coca Cola has been making you all fat slobs for years, and there’s nothing you can do about it! You’re all way too obese and slovenly to even get up off the couch, and you know it! Ha, ha! You even let us get away with replacing cane sugar with corn syrup! Yuck! I’ll bet you’ll even keep drinking Coke after seeing this ad insult you a thousand times, won’t you? When are you going to stand up and demonstrate some self-respect?”

And after seeing that on TV, maybe consumers will feel insulted, stop drinking their sodas, and start working out and losing weight. (But probably not: They will most likely just switch to drinking Pepsi instead. Which reminds me: Hey Pepsi, have I got a can’t-miss advertising concept for you! {Just pretend you are Coca Cola, and make the ad I just wrote above.})

Here’s the corpulent Coca Cola commercial: