Wednesday, January 30, 2013

German Gold and Goldfinger

About two weeks ago, I read a story about how Germany wants its gold bullion reserves back from the United States and France. Well, seeing as how far in debt we are, I wanted to see if I could think of an excuse to keep the gold. But it wasn’t until tonight, when I saw again the wonderful Ealing comedy The Lavender Hill Mob that I figured out how.

Why don’t we just say the movie Goldfinger was really a documentary, but that America changed the ending so we wouldn’t be embarrassed? And so Goldfinger stole all the gold, and that’s why they can’t have it back. And that explains why America is broke too, if anyone asks. (It’s not government overspending: it was Goldfinger!)

Hey, it would be a lot easier than saying they owe us for war reparations and the Marshall Plan, right? (Although those might be legitimate reasons right there. But they’re not nearly as much fun.)