Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Nissan Sentra “Click for a Light Show” Internet Ad

This horribly annoying Internet ad has a banner across the top of the page, as well as a box ad a little further down, and they both flash simultaneously black-white-black-white, etc., until the viewer gets mad and annoyed and develops a headache. It’s like a strobe light flashing at you while you’re trying to read. Hey, great!

I have covered this sort of thing before many times, so I’m not going to go deeply into it again now. But suffice it to say this: If your advertisement gives me a headache from annoying flashing, I am not going to buy the product. And I’d be willing to bet I am not the only one who thinks like this.

So please stop this stupid headache-inducing advertising strategy or you’ll shoot your sales in the foot. Oh, and people will hate the advertising agency too. But if that’s what you want, then keep it up. (Even the worst TV ads are great fun next to this kind of abusive Internet ad!)

BTW: I can’t comment on whether the “light show” part of the ad is any good or not, because it annoys me so much, I refuse to click on it and generate ad dollars for them. But had they not made it flash and give me a headache, I might have been interested. Oh well: their fault.