Monday, January 14, 2013

Ralph Lauren PBS Ad

In this TV spot that I have seen running on PBS before and after Downton Abbey, Ralph Lauren is heard saying: “This is not a job, this is a joy.” Well, if that’s the case, then why does he charge so much money for his clothes? He’s already as rich as a king. So why not stop charging $3,000 for a sweater? I mean, if it’s not really work and it’s such a joy, why not do it for free and give your clothes away? Unless it really is work after all. Because I don’t know many people who charge me for them to experience joy.

I’m not talking about the stuff he sells at Macy’s, by the way. I’m talking about the stuff he sells on the Upper East Side in New York City. That stuff is ridiculously priced even if you’re a tycoon. And I’d think it would be reasonably priced if he’s having such fun making it. Or maybe he’s talking about the getting people to spend ridiculously exorbitant prices for something that ought to cost a whole lot less that’s a joy? Because I could see how that might be amusing.

(I like Ralph Lauren’s clothes, but they are very expensive, especially at his flagship NYC store. But maybe that’s just to cover the rent for that store’s location?)

Unfortunately, and unsurprisingly, I can’t find this spot on YouTube. (They’re too low-rent!)

Oh, by the way, I found out recently that my mother hates this ad because of how uncomfortable that silly hood in the commercial would be to wear in real life.