Friday, April 5, 2013

Jägermeister “A Seat at the Table” Ad

Here we have a commercial for Jägermeister, where a rodeo clown walks into what looks like some spooky old Bavarian castle, and after walking down some hallway, looking at photos of other, previous members’ accomplishments, he walks into the sanctum sanctorum, and the announcer tells us that people don’t come here by choice, but that a member must earn the right to sit at this table. And then we see some background video to show us who these people around this table are: a NASCAR racer, a boxer, a surfer, Kerry King from Slayer, etc. And then the rodeo clown is welcomed into the circle.

Well, this commercial really showed me something. It explained why I had such a horrible hangover from drinking Jägermeister the first time: I hadn’t yet earned my “seat at the table”. And this reminds me of what’s missing from this spot: they show us who deserves to belong to the Jägermeister-drinking club, but they fail to demonstrate what happens to those who don’t belong, but have the effrontery to drink Jägermeister anyway! Well, those guys obviously puke their guts out in some dirty bathroom or alley, pass out and get dicks drawn on their face in magic marker by their friends while they’re unconscious, and wake up with one hell of a head-splitting hangover headache. Which just goes to show you, like this ad says, you’re not allowed to drink Jägermeister until you’ve earned your spot at the table. So don’t buy or try to drink it, or you’ll be sorry! (That is what they’re trying to say here, right?)

(Actually, I like Jägermeister a lot, and although I have not quite earned my spot at the table yet, I drink it anyway. But doesn’t this commercial seem like they’re discouraging everyone from drinking it? Or are we all supposed to be gate-crashing jerks who try to take whatever we want whether we deserve it or not? I guess maybe Jägermeister thinks that’s what all Americans are like. And you know, maybe after a few too many shots of Jägermeister, we are.)

Here’s the seat spot:


BTW: I’m always happy to see a commercial that pays homage to Slayer. It’s nice to see Kerry King in an ad for Jägermeister, but where are the rest of them? Don’t they like Jägermeister? Or haven’t they earned their seats at the table yet? (I’d say they have! They’re the only major thrash band never to do lame ballads and “mature” into pop radio crap. Thank you, Slayer, for always stomping ass! That earns a lifetime of Jägermeister for them all, I’d say!)