Sunday, April 7, 2013

Red Baron Iron Man 3 Ad (And a Red Baron Ad Idea of Mine from 2010)

A new ad for Red Baron frozen pizza is really more of an ad for a free movie ticket promotion for Iron Man 3. And this reminds me of an ad idea I had for Red Baron right after the 2010 Winter Olympics.

You see, at the end of the Olympics was the snowboarding and the figure skating, which I think are generally considered to be the marquee events of the Winter Olympics. And after Shaun White won another gold medal, he had an interview where he said he didn’t like the nickname: “The Flying Tomato”. So then the announcers tried to think of others, but they couldn’t think of a good one. Oh, but I thought I did think of a good one, and it was: “The Red Baron” (because he has red hair, he’s a killer high flying ace, he’s a winter sports aristocrat, he’s respected by all, and everybody’s always gunning for him). And then I thought that Red Baron frozen pizza could make an ad suggesting this nickname (and giving the reasoning for it), and then suggesting that people think about this while eating a delicious Red Baron frozen pizza. And then maybe they could have gotten Shaun White to sign on for their ads. (That was in my ad portfolio from 2010.)

But the odd thing for me about a frozen pizza ad to promote a movie ticket is this: If people go out to see a movie, as opposed to staying at home to watch it On Demand, then won’t they maybe have the chance to taste a pizza at a pizza place, and then compare it unfavorably to the frozen pizza? I mean, I’m not trying to be a jerk here: I buy and I eat Red Baron frozen pizzas too, and while I like them, they aren’t as good as a pizzeria pizza. (Sorry, it’s just the frozen thing: it’s great for convenience at home, but maybe not so much for comparing with real pizzerias.) So shouldn’t this be a free movie ticket with an in-restaurant pizza experience at some pizza restaurant, and have the Red Baron movie deal be for a free movie On Demand at home? It seems like this is a no-brainer for me. (As in: please don’t put my brain as a topping on your pizza. Unless you’re a zombie, in which case you’re going to eat it anyway, so you might as well go to town.)

Anyway, here’s the super heroic dinner deal: