Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Oscar the Grouch Terrorism PSA (Proposed)

Yesterday some terrorist put bombs in trash cans near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. This could happen again somewhere, so how about a PSA to remind people to report suspicious packages and activity around municipal trash cans, trash cans at sporting events, concerts, etc.? And, naturally, the perfect character to do such a public service announcement would be the Sesame Street Muppet Oscar the Grouch. This may sound like a joke, but it’s not: it’s deadly serious, and I’m suggesting this idea because using Oscar the Grouch in national security/terrorism PSAs would be infinitely memorable, because we all know that he lives in the trash can, and almost everyone loves this character.

So here’s how this would work: The spot would open with Oscar the Grouch in his trash can, and he’d be singing about how he loves trash, or whatever, and then he’d turn to the camera and say: “Oh, hello. I live in a trash can, so I’d immediately know if something suspicious or dangerous was put in a trash can. But I can’t be everywhere at once. And that’s why I need you to report any suspicious packages in the trash, or anything suspicious occurring around trash cans in your city. If you see something, say something. We can’t let this human garbage ruin our wonderful trash! So keep your eyes open, and pitch in to help. (Singing): Oh I love trash!”

This might be silly, but it would definitely be memorable, especially for kids. And nobody would forget to be vigilant about threats in the trash if they saw this PSA, I’ll bet.

(The bombs in the trash can story initially reported turned out to be wrong, but I wrote this before I knew that.)