Friday, April 26, 2013

The Exorcist Political Ad

Yes, once again, The Exorcist was on tonight, and I couldn’t resist but see it again. The older I get, and the more times I see it, the better it gets. Most movies are not like that, but I see and notice more stuff in it each and every time. Blatty and Friedkin really knew what they were doing!

But there is one scene in the movie now that is one of my favorites, where Father Merrin is explaining to Father Karras how the demon is a dangerous liar. He says that they should not listen, because the demon is a liar, but that it will also mix lies with the truth to attack them. Well, this scene, especially recently, has made me think of political strategists. During the recent presidential election, I meant to write about it, but I forgot about it, as I write about so many other things almost every day. But this could make a fun political ad or a comedy sketch, I think. Here’s how it might work:

In a political ad, we have the scene with the two priests, and they’re talking about the demon, but they use instead the name of a political candidate, and then Father Merrin’s stand-in says he’s (or she’s) a liar, but that he (or she) will also mix lies with the truth to attack us, and not to listen. And then the priests would enter into the bedroom, and in there would be a TV set with the political candidate they’re attacking in this ad, and it would show the candidate saying stuff to do with the campaign, and the two priests would back away in horror, saying: “Aaaa! It’s even worse than I imagined it could be!”

Now seriously, wouldn’t that rival the “Demon Sheep” or the “King Rat” ads for pure hysterical hokum? (Those ads were made by a Republican political ad maven here in L.A.)