Saturday, April 20, 2013

Silly T. Rex Intro

I love the band T. Rex. But once, in New York City, years ago, while playing it for a friend who was an avowed metalhead guitarist, we heard the intro to one song, off of maybe the Electric Warrior or The Slider album, and it started off with the vocal intro: "A one, and a two, and a bobbley bobbley boo boo, yeah!" Well, my friend looked at me and said: "A bobbley bobbley boo boo? No." I think it was probably Marc Bolan's updating of the whole 1950s rock 'n' roll thing, with stuff like "Be bop a lu la", etc. But sometimes you can go slightly afar of the mark with such things. I remember Adam and the Ants doing a chant in a song that went: "Da diddley qua qua, da diddley qua qua, (etc.)", but somehow that one seemed to work. I guess you never know until people give you the old "Bronx Cheer".

(By the way, I would definitely recommend T. Rex to anyone who likes good music, whether they like metal, rap, country, etc. It's just good pop sensibilities. But the lyrics make no sense and are occasionally very silly.)