Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Why Real-World MPG Doesn’t Match EPA

The above is the title of a news article I just saw online. I haven’t read the article yet, but I think I know the answer to why real-world MGP doesn’t match EPA. Are you ready? I’m pretty sure this is correct: They’re lying. And, okay, if that sounds too rude for your taste, how about this: They’re fibbing. And, alright, maybe that’s still too rude, so let’s just say this: They’re exaggerating.

These are ad claims, people! When was the last time you trusted the facts in a TV commercial? I don’t mean to impugn their character or anything, but they will sometimes, on occasion, perhaps maybe just sort of stretch the truth to try to convince people to buy their stuff. I’m sure it’s not intentional, though. They just really, really, really want you to buy their stuff. So maybe they permit it to be shown in, um, how shall I say this, a better than expected light. Do you understand now?

Here’s the article I haven’t read on this subject, just in case you don’t want to read it either: