Friday, December 13, 2013

Scenes I’d Like to See: “The Searchers”

In The Searchers, John Wayne thinks he finds the girl he’s been searching for, and he thinks she has been killed horribly. So when another character asks him about it, he yells: “What do you want me to do, draw you a picture?” And the other guy says (in a Texas drawl): “I didn’t know you were an artist! I’d love to see your picture.” And then we cut to a graphic color painting of some horrendous act, and the other guy says: “It’s brutal, but true. I love your bold lines and the expressiveness of your colors and brush technique: viciously visionary.” And then John Wayne says: “Why, thank ya’, my friend. You know, I considered painting professionally for a while before I decided on killin’ Injuns as my livelihood.”

Here’s the trailer for The Searchers that contains the quote (it’s in the middle):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nAxqo_nW_w

Oh, and as we all know, Natalie Wood’s character is alive and well all along. So the picture is probably of someone else, or else completely fabricated from John Wayne’s imagination.