Saturday, December 21, 2013

Abba “Mamma Mia” Sequel?

I think it’s easy to claim you don’t like ABBA, but once you hear their music, you just can’t help but dance and sing along. Their songs are so catchy, and so many of them are about love and such. But this band was once two married couples who later divorced. Wow, how ironic, after all their love songs, and especially when you consider their marriage-themed broadway musical Mamma Mia.

But there is always a silver lining in every situation, and for me it would be if the couples divorced after arguing by quoting their own song titles and lyrics against each other in context. That would be so much fun to watch as an absurdist romantic comedy, maybe ABBA should consider doing this after the Broadway show Mamma Mia eventually fizzles out.

Here’s an example:

Guitar player guy says: “I thought I was getting the Dancing Queen when I Took A Chance On You, but it ended up being my Waterloo, and not in a good way!”

And the singer says: “Mamma Mia! Voulez Vous to shut up already? I’ve been a Super Trouper putting up with your crap, and now you want to be rid of me?”

And the guitarist says: “I do, I do, I do, I do, I do.”

Then his singer wife says: “Oh yeah, well my divorce lawyer says The Winner Takes It All, and That’s Me, Honey, Honey! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! all your Money, Money, Money.”

And the guitar players says: “Well, Knowing Me I’ll give you whatever you want, and Knowing You you’ll take everything! I’ve got to call a good lawyer and say: S.O.S.!”

I’ll bet it would be a big hit for people going through miserable divorces. And isn’t it the logical follow-up to the wedding play Mamma Mia? Just call it Wedding Waterloo, or maybe just S.O.S.)

(BTW: I love Abba, so just a joke, seeing as how they have the wedding play and both couples got divorced. Oh, and a special message to them: Thank You for the Music.)