Sunday, August 21, 2011

Boost Old Man Ad

I guess it’s about what I expected: an old guy talking about how his daughter, the nutritionist, recommended he drink Boost. But doesn’t Ensure already do the same type of ad campaign? You’d think they’d want a new take on Boost. I’m not familiar with what Boost’s ad history is, so please forgive me if they’ve done this before, but it seems to me a good campaign for Boost might have Popeye talking about how he used to eat spinach for his nutritional needs, but that it made him too violent. So now that he’s older and wiser, he’s found Boost! And then he could talk about how Boost has all the nutrition of spinach, plus all kinds of things spinach doesn’t have, that an older guy like Popeye might need to stay strong.

I’m sure Popeye has been used in advertising before, but has he been used like this, to push a nutritional product that’s better for you than spinach, and is also related to the fact that he’s an old character now? Maybe, but I haven’t seen it. In any case, I think it would work really well for Boost, or for that matter, for Ensure. (They’re very similar products from what I understand, but Ensure has like 90% of the product awareness, so I think Boost has some catching up to do.) And most of the people who would use boost would remember growing up watching Popeye, right? Kids today know who he is, but it’s really older people, like the ones who might want to try drinking Boost for nutrition, who are fans of Popeye. At least, that’s how it seems to me. My father is a big Popeye fan, and he’s about the age demographic they’re shooting for with the current Boost advertising.

So here’s how this Boost Popeye ad would work:

Popeye, looking a little older, would speak to the camera, saying: “Hi. I’m Popeye. When I was younger, I used to get most of my nutrition and energy from spinach. I needed it then for all the battles I used to have to fight. But now that I’m getting older, there’s a new battle I have to fight to maintain strong bones and healthy muscle mass. That’s why it’s great that there’s Boost! It has all the nutrition that spinach has, plus it has lots more that spinach doesn’t have. And the best thing about it is how easy and tasty it is: even better than spinach! Boost your strength and nutrition the easy way: with Boost!”