Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A “Mickey Mouse Operation”

I see it quite often in movies, and I hear it in the real world frequently also, where people will say about some small, makeshift enterprise that it’s a “Mickey Mouse Operation”. But whenever I hear someone say that something is a “Mickey Mouse Operation”, I always think of something else. Like, I wonder if they mean that it’s a well-oiled, perfectly functioning, classic, beautiful machine, performing at the highest possible level. Or maybe they mean that it’s a big, powerful corporation that blazed the way in its field, or which pioneered the use of animation, defined numerous artistic styles and entertainment genres, and which is synonymous with family entertainment. Or perhaps they’re referring to an entity which practically invented merchandising and cross-platform marketing. You see, when I hear someone refer to a “Mickey Mouse Operation”, I can’t help but think of the Walt Disney Studios, which is one of the most successful and influential, not to mention well-known and pioneering, companies in the world (and in history), so to me it means the exact opposite of a small, penny-ante set-up. But maybe that’s just me.

Of course, it could also refer to a company that uses bullying legal tactics, I suppose. But that’s not what I think of first. Although, I'm sure there are plenty of other people who do think of that first, when it comes to Disney. Otherwise, rumors to that effect wouldn't be so pervasive, or at least, I wouldn't think so. But I haven't been sued by Disney myself, so I still think very highly of them; and I always think of their delightful movies, wonderful artists, visionary spirit, etc. I grew up with those fun, beautiful movies and shorts, so it's always the first thing I think of when I think of Disney; and it's pretty high up on the list of things I think of when I think of childhood, too (and that's a wonderful thing!).