Saturday, August 27, 2011

Grand Central

During coverage of the Hurricane Irene evacuations, some news anchor showed a live video feed of an empty Grand Central Station in New York City and said: “They call it ‘Grand Central’, but look at it now!” Excuse me? That’s uncalled for! Now Grand Central Station will become codependent on crowds to feel adequate! How insensitive can you get?

What an unnecessary insult, and an inaccurate one too! I don’t see what deleterious effect Grand Central Station’s being empty has upon its grandness or its centrality. In fact, it looks even grander when it’s empty, if you ask me, since it looks even bigger and brighter and swankier without anyone in it! And what does its crowdedosity or lack thereof have to do with its location, I feel I must inquire? It’s location is just as central in its positioning relative to the city whether full or devoid of people, I must say! Unless it gets so light when it’s empty that it floats up into the air and gets blown around by the wind, which I doubt very much. So what’s-her-name doesn’t know whereof she speaks, if you ask me! (Take that, what’s-your-name newslady!)