Friday, December 23, 2011

Chevy Silverado Cell-Phone Reception Ad

Chevy has an ad running on TV now for their Silverado pickup truck where a few guys are driving around in the forest, and it looks like they're looking for a cell-phone signal, but it turns out they're trying to find where they can go that won't get a cell-phone signal (!). (I guess turning off your cell-phone is cheating, huh?) So at least if they have an emergency, they'll all die without being able to call for help: hooray!

But the thing about this commercial that really jumped out at me is how it could be remade as an ad for a cell-phone company to tout their expansive coverage. They could show these guys doing this very thing, and they keep having to drive further and further out into the wilderness, but no matter where or how far out they go, they can still get cell-phone reception! And eventually, they run out of gas (suggesting that coverage is everywhere), and they have to call for roadside assistance to come rescue them. (And then they come to appreciate that their cell service is so good, or else they'd be stuck out there!) And the guy on the other end of the phone says: "You're where? How'd you get all the way out there?"

And then they get eaten by bears or something for suggesting that whatever cell-phone company didn't cover the entire country (the nerve of some people!).

Anyway, it would probably be a fun play on the Chevy spot to make an ad like that. I mean, without the man-eating bear part. (Maybe they could get chased by a bear and get away at some point in the ad.)

I'm sorry, but for some stupid reason, Chevy apparently hasn't put this commercial up on YouTube. Maybe it's my fault, but I can't find it. You'd think they'd put it up there; most of their other ads are there. Oh, well: sorry. It's on TV, though.

No, wait: I just found it! And according to the upload date, it has been up on YouTube all along; but I swear to God I searched for it back then with every imaginable parameter and word combination, and it was not there when I originally wrote this post. But here it is now, found with exactly the same search I initially used to look for it on YouTube in December, 2011 ("Chevy Silverado phone reception comercial 2011"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLoNKtNa17I