Saturday, December 3, 2011

Dove Football Star Antiperspirant Ad

There’s a new commercial for Dove antiperspirant where they have a football star from yesteryear, and they show him playing football years ago, and then they show him today, shilling for Dove antiperspirant. And I had the mute on, so I don’t know what they said, but I could clearly see what would have been really fun for them to do. They could have had him say: “When I was a player, I used to smell really bad on the field, so nobody wanted to get near me; but if they did try to tackle me, I’d be so disgustingly sweaty, they’d just slide right off! But now that I don’t play football anymore, I want to smell nice and sweat less! That’s why I use Dove antiperspirant!”

(BTW: I don’t know who the guy in the ad is, so I’m not trying to bash him. It’s just this idea of showing some football guy running around and breaking tackles, and then having him advocate for using an antiperspirant that I found funny, because it looks visually like it’s the route they’re logically going to take for an antiperspirant ad to do what I joked about above: saying that smelling bad and sweating a lot helped him in the past, but now, yadda yadda...)