Friday, January 4, 2013

Abortion Mascot?

Sometimes I watch Fox News, mostly for the comedy on Red Eye, and once recently I heard the guys there go off on an anti-abortion rant, as is their wont, and one of them asked how adults (I guess especially pro-life adults) could explain abortion to children, and he said it's like "Santa Claus in reverse: he takes you away". But Santa Claus doesn't bring babies to parents, does he? No, there's already an established make-believe character who brings babies to parents who don't want to talk about sex with children: the stork! (Right?) And so then, obviously, for a pro-life person, the character they're looking for has been right in front of them all the time! And even though I'm pro-choice, I think the intellectual exercise is interesting, so I'm going to do it anyway.

Okay, so how to use a metaphorical character to explain abortion? Well, it's not Santa Claus. And since the stork is already established in culture and for kids in cartoons as the baby delivery service, then it has to have something to do with the stork, right? So I thought it must be something that prevents the stork from delivering the baby to the parents, and I figured it has to be some bird of prey, like a vulture or a buzzard, because the stork flies, and only so many predators could catch a stork in flight. So this vulture would attack the stork, steal the baby, and then go kill it and eat it. And that would be, in my opinion, a very good way to explain abortion to children, especially if you oppose abortion. (But, since most pro-choice people are liberals, and they tend to let killer animals off the hook, this seems like the perfect way to counter it: with endangered birds as the culprit. And since the California Condor is an endangered bird, and also a vulture, it would make the perfect character to personify abortion as an argument against pro-lifers, because that way, anyone who opposes it would appear to be an endangered animal abuser.)

I am pro-choice, as I think it should be up to the pregnant woman in all cases (after all, it is in her body), but even so, I am really surprised that no pro-lifer has used a vulture attacking a stork carrying a baby as a metaphor for abortion, at least as far as I know. And I'm not trying to give them any propaganda ideas, either. But isn't it obvious, when you think about it, that a vulture or buzzard might be a simple cartoon way to explain abortion to kids, since they already know about the stork?