Saturday, March 23, 2013

Cymbalta (The Name)

Cymbalta is some prescription medication for joint pain, but its name sounds more painful than soothing, at least to me. Doesn’t Cymbalta sound like cymbals being crashed together? That sounds like it would hurt. Even hearing it up close would hurt your ears. I wonder how they decided on the name Cymbalta? I think a more soothing sounding name might have been a better choice.

In looking it up, I also find that Cymbalta is used to treat general anxiety disorder and depression. But I’d think that name, which makes me envision cymbals crashing together, might not be so appropriate for something intended to help with anxiety or depression. I would think the idea of having cymbals crashing all around you might not be so calming or reassuring. (But maybe that’s because I was attacked by a rogue pair of cymbals as a child.)

But this criticism is only leveled at the name they selected for this medication, and what image it brings to mind. The medication might work wonders for all I know. I just think it could have been given a better sounding name. But then again, maybe I’m the only one who sees the name this way.