Saturday, March 9, 2013

BMW Pearl Necklace Ad

Maybe I’m not looking in the right place, but I can’t seem to find this commercial online anywhere. But this spot shows a woman driving a BMW car fast, and we see her shot as if from just inside her windshield, and she has her driver’s-side window open, and while she’s looking ecstatic, her string of pearls starts flying out towards the open window. And that got me thinking: “Gee, I hope she doesn’t get them caught in her wheels and get strangled to death like Isadora Duncan did with her scarf!” And I’m sorry for thinking this, but once you know about what happened to Isadora Duncan, it’s kind of hard to forget, and stuff like this reminds you of it.

Here is what happened to Isadora Duncan (She was a great dancer from the last century, for those who don’t know): look under the heading: “Death”; once you know about it, it’s impossible to forget it:


BTW: Isadora Duncan was also supposedly the recipient of one of the most famous quotes from George Bernard Shaw. Supposedly she said: “We should get married, with my looks and your brains, we would have perfect children!” (I’m sorry if the quote is not word-for-word accurate: I wasn’t there.) And he said in reply: “Yes, but what if they have my looks and your brains?” (I’m sure he was just kidding her, though: she was a genius in her field, and he in his. And I’m pretty sure she was only trying to make a memorable quote as well, which, since he was the writer/memorable quote guy, required a quote in return, for the purposes of linguistic one-upmanship.)

Here’s a link to the supposed quote (but I’m pretty sure this guy wasn’t there to hear it either):


Oh, and I really feel I must protest that the quotes from George Bernard Shaw get pictures of hot bikini babes around them while the George Carlin Quotes just get a cell-phone advertisement! Or is it just that nobody wants to read the boring quotes, and we should be punished for reading the fun ones?