Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Black Swan

I have followed Davis and White and Virtue and Moir for years now, and I love both pairs so much, but I wondered what was going to happen, who was going to bring it, and what form would it take, once they retired.

Well, I think we all see what that’s going to be after watching the Russian ice dancers (Elena Ilinykh and Nikita Katsalapov): the Ballet. And what a perfect way to move ahead: to go back to their roots.

For those who don’t know, ballet is hugely popular in Russia, where they have developed so much of its illustrious history, and you just can’t get more insane and amazing than that with dance. There are lots of other great dance forms, but when someone gets ballet right, everyone will have to give in and bow down. It’s just that simple.

So this new Russian dance team who won bronze at home: Wow, they’re the most exciting skaters I have seen in years! I am speechless.

An announcer asked another announcer after their program: “Did they take you to the Bolshoi?” And, yes, they did. They took us all to the Bolshoi.

And that’s another thing: Tara Lipinski said, after the Russians’ pairs program during the team event: “They took us to the ball with them.” And they did. And that was, for me, the gold medal of the commentary: “They took us to the ball with them.”

Another gold medal for Tara Lipinski!

And maybe we have a new Anna Pavlova on the ice…? (I think we do.)

Man, I have seen lots of articles online about “Olympic Crushes”, but I haven’t seen Elena Ilinykh on any of those lists. She’s the only one on mine! Oh, what, she’s unavailable? Yeah, like any Olympians would date writers anyway. You wish!