Sunday, February 16, 2014

LA Olympians (The Policy of Claiming Them)

I live in and around Los Angeles, and I have to say, they certainly think of who is from where differently from most of the country. When I was a little kid, I lived in a Colonial New England town, and while everyone was valued, people who had the same last names of historical figures seemed to be a cut above everyone else. Then I lived for a few years in a Gulf Coast city, and the joke there was that if your whole family was from that city for generations, but somehow your mother had to give birth in an adjoining municipality due to a rainstorm, you were a “native” of that adjoining town, even if you lived the rest of your days in the city your family was from. But here in Los Angeles, if people know who you are, once you step off an airplane at LAX, you are an Angelino! (<And you always were, too!)