Monday, April 1, 2013

Google April Fools Joke

Today Google made a joke about being able to search the Internet by smell. And then they used things like garlic breath as examples. Oh, but this only serves to remind me that lately, Google’s search engine stinks! Were they trying to do that? If so, then wow: great job, guys! If not, though, um: oops?

Yes, I’m sorry to have to say this, especially after having Google as my homepage for years, but nowadays I can’t even get what I’m searching for on the first few pages of a Google search anymore: it’s all stuff I’m not searching for that paid to be put higher up in the search results. Even using the “exact wording” function, the exact words I type in are not listed after pages and pages, and I find this really tiresome and, in fact, unacceptable. And if this continues like this, I may have to leave Google for another search engine, which I’d rather not have to do.

So Google, how about an “opt out of paid search results” option for searches so we can actually find what we’re searching for again? I’d really appreciate it, and I’ll bet you wouldn’t have to lose any ad revenue either if your lawyers hid this option in the fine print of your advertising contracts. Remember the saying: “The customer is always right?” Well, if a Google user is a customer, maybe you should consider my request. Of course if only an advertiser who pays you to cheat their websites higher and higher in people’s unrelated web searches, then this problem is only going to get worse, and eventually everyone will go somewhere else for searches, at which point you might lose all your ad revenue. It’s something to consider.

Now, obviously I am referring to more arcane searches here, and not the average search. But if I type in three words that I mean to find in that order, I should find that first, and all the one-word matches for businesses afterwards. See what I mean here? It used to work like that until relatively recently.

(April Fools: I love wasting my time searching for specific things that I can’t even find anymore through Google, so don’t change a thing! {I’m sure you weren’t considering it anyway…})