Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Abilify Cartoon Ad

Depression is represented as a dark, um, well, I guess it’s a hole or something, in this cartoon ad for a pharmaceutical product meant to help with depression. This lady has this hole thingy with eyes in it follow her around and stuff, and sometimes it goes on the ground beneath her and swallows her up. So she goes to her cartoon doctor, who recommends Abilify and explains how it works by showing her a film of himself talking about it, while he stands next to the screen looking just like the image of him on it. (He's even wearing the exact same outfit!) Um, couldn’t he have just told her personally, rather than show himself in a movie talking about it? I mean, he’s not busy doing anything else while he’s running the movie anyway, so it’s not like he’s multitasking or anything, but whatever. I guess it’s an ego trip thing that makes him feel like a movie star. Anyway, she follows her doctor’s orders, and pretty soon she’s going out for a picnic with her family. The depression hole thingy is smaller now, but it’s still with her, following her around, and it looks really bored. If I were that hole thingy, I would recognize that she was responsible for its diminished capacity (I mean, it was taking notes right next to her about Abilify in her doctor’s office, so it must know!), and I’d get revenge by growing lots of big sharp teeth and eating her family in front of her, gorily masticating them on her pristine picnic blanket. (I’ll bet she’d be depressed again after that!) But that’s just me. And think of how much more Abilify she’d have to buy then! (Just kidding! Would I do that?)

Here is a link to the ad: