Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Too Big To Fail

Is this the curse of Star Trek or something? I don’t know what it is, but when I see Cynthia Nixon from Sex and the City in a movie about the Wall Street meltdown and the resulting bailouts, I can’t help but think that Mr. Big is somewhere behind the scenes pulling the strings to collapse Lehman Brothers (which means he obviously works for Goldman Sachs). And when Carrie (Sarah Jessica parker’s character on Sex and the City) gets all mad at him (Mr. Big) for never being around (remember how secretive he always was about his business stuff and private life?), doesn’t it make sense that he’s got to be busy orchestrating the whole crash and bailout stuff? I mean, he has to be the guy who’s always making sure that Goldman gets the sweetheart deals, right? Duh! (That’s why he’s always so busy!)

But seriously, just because you dyed Cynthia Nixon’s hair, doesn’t mean she’s not going to make me think of Sex and the City. I’m not trying to cost her jobs or anything (Seriously, I’d rather see her in anything else that doesn’t show her naked all the time! But I do like her.), but please remember that this is an HBO movie, and Sex and the City was also an HBO show. So when I see her in a movie like this, on HBO, I can’t help but think about how this must be the reason why she never has any time to see the father of her child (in Sex and the City, that is), and that all this Wall Street stuff and its resulting impact on her materialism and power-hungry mania must be why she was never emotionally available to him when he always loved her so much. I mean, I’m happy it all worked out for Miranda and Steve, but if it wasn’t for her caring more about making money as a lawyer on Wall Street, they never would have had any problems! (Didn’t love matter to her, a woman? But seriously, it’s impossible not to feel like this {the events of the HBO movie Too Big to Fail} is what was going on whenever Miranda was AWOL in Sex and the City! Right? Am I alone in this?)

But really, I think it’s the success of the show Sex and the City that has done this. I also can’t see Kim Cattrall in anything without thinking of her as the sexually hyperactive Samantha, even if it’s in a movie made years before Sex and the City even existed! And I’ll bet it’s the same thing for all of them with most people. Seriously, I saw Mr. Big on some Law & Order show, and I was like: “Hey, it’s Mr. Big! What’s he doing on Law & Order when we all know he should be on Sex and the City?” And really, shouldn’t he be limited to super-rich puppet masters from now on? (I think so. He’s just not believable as anything else.)

And another thing: Topher Grace is the guy who does all those drugs on That 70s Show, and William Hurt is the guy who ends up throwing up? Okay, maybe it’s from all the drugs he did in Altered States, but still. It just doesn’t seem fair, somehow. (But I like the idea of actors getting punished in other movies for bad stuff they did in previous movies, though. They should do it more often to give an added layer of meaning for movie geeks like me.)