Monday, May 9, 2011

The Wolfman

A-whooo!

Yes, the 2010 remake of the original classic horror movie The Wolf Man is what I’m referring to. I was really looking forward to it when it was being made and delayed and delayed and then delayed again. But when I saw it I was a little bit disappointed with it. Mostly it was that flashy, overdone “gone Hollywood” camerawork and CGI overkill, but there were also some serious problems with the film too. I had seen it a while ago, but it was just on one of my pay-cable movie channels, and it reminded me of the things about it that made it an underwhelming experience the first time around.

For one thing, it’s really unrealistic, and as such it’s a little hard to take seriously. I mean, seriously, everybody knows that when you get attacked by a werewolf and become a wolf man or whatever, it only takes one overnight for your wounds to heal, and they don’t leave any scar except for a pentagram thingy on your chest, right? But this guy takes apparently weeks to heal up and recover! What a pansy! And he’s got a big scar on his neck too, which proves that he must have just hurt himself and pretended to have been attacked by a werewolf so that everyone would think he was cool or be scared of him or whatever his obvious agenda is in all of this. Yeah, probably all the local guys used to beat him up, but once they think he’s a werewolf, they’ll all be scared of him. Or else all the local girls think he’s lame and just like the dangerous, “bad boy”-types, but once they think he’s a wolf man, they’ll think he’s super hot and all want to go out with him, especially if it will make their hunter-fathers disapprove! But with his luck, they’ll probably all just come after him with silver bullets. Loser.

And another thing is, this main character guy just exaggerates everything for effect. I mean, he’s just a big drama queen! He’s sitting strapped into that nut-house, and he says he’s going to kill everyone in the room. But then he only kills like two of them! He’s all talk, this guy! I mean, how are we supposed to be scared of him when he doesn’t even follow through on what he says he’s going to do? I'm afraid he just seems like a big empty threat. But that's all I'm afraid of here.

And how come the wide-eyed guy (Hugo Weaving) gets to be in all the big sci fi/fantasy/horror movies? Is that in his contract or something? It just makes me think of all his other roles and hope that he’ll slip up and call everyone “Mister Anderson” by mistake. And then they have it so that he’s going to be the next wolf man guy! So I guess soon I’ll have to look out for The Wolfman 2: The Wide-Eyed Wolf Guy.