Thursday, May 26, 2011

Brim Ad

“Fill it to the rim with Brim.”

This ad line has bothered me for my entire life, and today I was reminded of why. I saw a news program where someone was talking about relief supplies for the victims of the recent domestic tornados, and he said they found a semi-truck and “filled it to the brim” with supplies. So, did you catch that? The correct expression is: “Fill it to the brim.” (And trucks don't even have brims! Do they?) So to act like someone, anyone, would say: “Fill it to the rim”, (especially about a cup!) is patently ridiculous, and as such, it turns people off to their desire to drink Brim coffee. Do you want to drink the coffee that makes you say stuff that gets you made fun of? Of course not! I mean, really!

So the correct ad line should have always been thus: “You’ll want to fill it to the brim! It’s Brim!", or simply: "Fill it to the brim! It's Brim!", or even: "Fill it to the brim, with Brim."

Here’s an example of the old Brim ads: