Thursday, August 2, 2012

Cable TV Olympic Application

If you’ve been watching the Olympics on cable TV, then you must have seen the Olympic Application that appears on your screen from time to time. I’m assuming they will charge me through the nose if I use it, so I don’t really know what it does, but I love how it blocks my ability to hit the mute button, change channels, hit “previous channel”, how on recordings it tricks me into hitting “cancel”, which then exits me out of the recording, etc. It’s awesome!

But they haven’t fully realized its potential! What they ought to do is make it so you can’t use your remote control at all unless you click on it, and then it charges you $20 for each time you click on it, which you’d have to do each and every time you change channels, hit the mute button, change the volume level, go back to the previous channel, play your DVR recordings, look at the guide, turn the TV off, etc. And they could neglect to tell you about the charge until you get the bill, and then say it’s too late to reverse the charges when you complain, using the excuse that it’s a third-party feature they don’t own. (Wouldn’t that be great?) Then, they will have taken full advantage of the perfect money-making cable TV scam! Um, I mean, uh, convenience feature! (You know someone will become the next billionaire doing something like this pretty soon. It’s really just a matter of time, isn’t it?)