Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Flying Squirrel Beats Boris’s Natashas

Okay, so that’s a tortured metaphor from Bullwinkle, but “The Flying Squirrel” did win the Olympic women’s gymnastics all-around today, and she beat out two Russians, who are the Bullwinkle villains’ nationality, so it kind of works. (And I did not nickname Gabby Douglas “The Flying Squirrel”, so don’t blame me for the Bullwinkle reference!)

I haven’t seen the competition yet, but I already know, like most everyone else, that Gabrielle Douglas has won the most coveted gold medal at these Olympics,* and she is now “America’s Sweetheart”! (And she ought to be, too! She’s earned it, blasting through the stratosphere to become, in about a year, the world’s greatest gymnast! Amazing!) So get ready to see her in every other TV ad for the next 4 years! (I hope she gets to do it if she wants to. She’s the queen of the Olympics: she should get to write her own ticket! Movies, music, ads, TV shows: whatever she wants. And she has such infectious enthusiasm, it’s impossible to resist.)

Now this fan adulation may seem a little odd coming from an advertising-obsessed jokester like me, but I follow this sport. My mother loves women’s gymnastics and women’s figure skating, and with me loving punk and metal and horror movies, there’s not much else we can connect on, so when she insisted I watch the skating with her in 2006, I got into it and the gymnastics, just so we could have more stuff in common. And you know what: it’s hard not to love it if you start to watch it. And Gabby Douglas is one of the best ever in this sport! (The wonderful Russian ladies had very good days today, and they still couldn’t best her!)

Here’s a picture from today of Aliya Mustafina, Alexander Alexandrov, Coach Bullwinkle, and “The Flying Squirrel” (on seeing she just won the all-around title)! {Just kidding! I’m just making fun of the fact that there is a “Flying Squirrel” character and Russian adversaries in Bullwinkle! But I have to wonder if this had anything to do with Gabby’s nickname: the fact that the bad guys in Bullwinkle are Russians, and they are America’s major adversaries in women’s gymnastics! I would guess: Yes. Either that, or it’s a very big coincidence.}


* Don’t even start with me here: The Olympic women’s all-around gymnastics champion is the queen of the Olympics, and “America’s Sweetheart” (if she happens to be American)! And until we appreciate rhythmic gymnastics in America, artistic gymnastics is the most beautiful sport we watch, until figure skating in two years.