Monday, January 2, 2012

Godzilla Got Glitter Bombed!

I was just watching the end of this movie called Godzilla vs. Mothra on some movie channel, and during the final battle royale between Godzilla, Mothra and Battra, just as Godzilla is about to destroy Battra with his atomic breath, Mothra swoops over Godzilla's head, and she rains this downpour of silver sparkles all over Godzilla. And then it hit me: Hey, Godzilla's getting glitter bombed, just like Newt Gingrich, Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum! So does this mean that Godzilla is a conservative "traditional marriage" type? And does this make Mothra a gay activist? I never realized how much meaning and social commentary was layered into these kaiju eiga movies!

But this movie was made in 1992, and as such, that would mean that Mothra is the originator of the glitter bomb! And she never even gets credited for inventing it! I never would have thought I'd find such a thing in a Godzilla movie, but I guess you never know what to expect, huh? Sometimes there's more to things than meets the eye.