Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Old Spice Wolfthorn Ad

Really? And Opel? Wow, I guess wolf food must be more expensive than I thought. (But couldn’t he just feed the women he picks up to his hungry wolf coat?) Or maybe it’s because this guy always totals all his cars by driving through the windows of everywhere he goes, so he can’t get insurance on a better car, like a Ferrari. But when I was a little kid, an Opel (yes, the same one he drives here) is what people drove when they couldn’t afford a Corvette Stingray. I would think a window like that would total that car. Isn’t it made out of fiberglass? You can crush a car like that by sitting on it. (I’m joking: it was made of steel, so it’s stronger than most of those little toy sports cars from that era, most of which were made of fiberglass and would crack if you looked at them wrong.)

And hey, by the way: where’s PeTA to throw paint on this guy? Not only is he wearing fur, he’s enslaving two wolves to be his coat! (No wonder they’re constantly snarling: they feel oppressed! Plus, they’re extra mad at this lady for not rebuking him on his coat and demanding he free the wolves.) But this might place PeTA in an awkward position, because to throw paint on the coat, they would have to also throw it on live animals: a definite conundrum!

But despite making fun of it like I’m doing, I really like this ad. (It’s like when a boy in school teases the girl he really likes, I guess.) This kind of fun and silly stuff really makes me laugh, enjoy myself, and really, really remember the product. I mean, I’m not likely to buy or use Old Spice Wolfthorn, but if I was, I wouldn’t forget about it when I was at the store. And that’s what you really want to accomplish with a commercial. Fun, silly, memorable, cool factor: great job! (Of course, no-one else is likely to have the results as seen in this spot. The rest of us would just get protested by anti-fur activists and animal rights people, as well as sued for driving through the window. Oh, and we'd get mauled by the wolves too.)

Here’s the irresistible advert:


Oh, and I’m just busting on Opels. I like them too. But shouldn’t this guy drive an Aston Martin or a Ferrari or a McLaren? I mean, come on! (A McLaren might even successfully crash through windows without sustaining too much damage: they’re made out of carbon graphite. But whether it’s heavy enough to push its way through at such a short distance is another matter. Of course, we know a Ferrari would do it from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.)